Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gusto Pizza

I co-founded a theatre company here in Philadelphia called Flashpoint. We are based in the Rittenhouse area of the city and thankfully there are many decent pizza offerings near the theatre. We were in the midst of strike on Sunday when the pizza cravings hit. Strike means taking apart the set after a production is closed. For Flashpoint, strike also means breaking large pieces of luan into smaller, trash-bag-able sized pieces by karate kicking them against a wall. It's a hard job and can make a person very hungry for pizza.

We decided to go in on a couple of pies from Gusto, a very small pizza shop just a few blocks from the theatre. We were dealing with a lot of different dietary needs, so we opted to order two cheese pies. And they were fantastic. This was not my first time with Gusto, and it won't be my last. The sauce is savory and loaded with herbs. The cheese is flavorful and distributed in a way to highlight the sauce. The crust is of medium thickness and has a nice doughiness to it.

After finishing my third slice and looking at the second empty box, I wished we had thought to buy another pie. When five people attack two pies and wish for a third, something good is happening in that oven.


Gusto
240 S 22nd St
Philadelphia, PA 19103
phone: (215) 546-7200
http://gusto.thekalon.com
omg! they have coupons on their website!

2 comments:

  1. Gusto is one of my favorite places in Philly. I used to live nearby and would go there about 3 times a month. LOVE their wings. But pizza is definitely what they do best. And since it's byob, you can make it as high-class (or low-class) as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I didn't know it was BYO! Thanks, Amber. Now I know where to have a delicious date night!

    ReplyDelete